Your Google Voice number is automatically locked to prevent it from being ported out without your consent. Before you can port your Google Voice number to Better Voice you must first unlock it.
There is a one time $3 fee to port your number away from Google Voice. For users who ported their mobile numbers into Google Voice, the fee is waived.
To unlock your number simply:
- Go to www.google.com/voice/unlock and sign into your Google Voice account.
- If you only have one Google Voice number click Unlock my number underneath your Google Voice number. If you have more than one number, select the number you wish to port away from the drop down menu and then click Unlock my number.
- Click Continue to confirm that you wish to unlock your number.
- Sign into Google Wallet to complete your port out process.
- Once you're done your Google Voice number is ready to be ported out.
After following the above steps, you can then initiate the port with Better Voice by creating a Support Request.